It is the Company Policy that no seafarer employed shall navigate the vessel, operates machinery or carries out his duty whilst drugs or alcohol impairs him or suspected to be under the impairment of alcohol or drugs.
• The possession, use, trafficking of any kind of illegal drugs and for any reason on board the ship is prohibited.
• The misuse of legitimate drugs, or the use, possession, distribution or sale of illicit or un-prescribed controlled drugs on board ship is prohibited.
• Any use of a prescribed controlled drug which causes, or contributes to unacceptable job performance or unusual job behavior should require the seafarer to be excused from duty until such times as he is repatriated, or treatment and its after-effects cease.
• The suggested list of substances to be prohibited should include, but not be limited to marijuana, cocaine, opiates, phencyclidine (PCP) and amphetamines and their derivatives.
• The Company will not authorize the employment of any persons who are users of or have a recent record of the use of illegal drugs or have abused the use of prescribed drugs. Any crewmember found in contravention of the Company’s drug policy will be instantly dismissed.
Alcohol is not allowed aboard ship. Under this Policy, for the purpose of preventive alcohol abuse, a limit of not greater than 0.05% blood alcohol level (BAC) or 0.25 mg/l alcohol in the breath or a quantity of alcohol leading to such alcohol concentration for Masters, Officers and other seafarers while performing designated safety, security and marine environmental duties is established.
In order to enforce this policy:
The Company enforces a strict blood / breath and / or urine test schedule involving:
• Mandatory pre-joining tests for all seafarers
• Regular breathe analyzer tests on board are carried out monthly. Breathe analyzer tests on board are parts of the investigation processes whenever accidents or incidents occur.
Seafarers found to be in violation of this Policy shall be immediately released from duty and disciplinary action will be taken. Adherence to this Policy is considered as a term of employment. Masters and Company will cooperate in full with the authorities in cases of illegal drug trafficking or possession.